8 Quotes on Adversity’s Good PointsFebruary 27, 2014
It is through fire we are forged.
Nobody likes losing. Why would you? The word “loser” is an insult for a reason. And yet, winning all the time isn’t great either. (Twilight Zone did a whole episode about the idea.) Plus no one really wins all the time anyway–We all have our moments of adversity, big and small. The key, then, is to see the good in the obstacles we face. We respect mountain-climbers for overcoming enormous obstacles (literally). Who would they be without the mountains to climb?
In that spirit, we’ve collected 8 quotes on the positive qualities of adversity.
1. “The friend in my adversity I shall always cherish most. I can better trust those who helped to relieve the gloom of my dark hours than those who are so ready to enjoy with me the sunshine of my prosperity.” –Ulysses S Grant
2. “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me… You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” –Walt Disney
3. “Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.” –William Arthur Ward
4. “Show me someone who has done something worthwhile, and I’ll show you someone who has overcome adversity.” –Lou Holtz
5. “If the road is easy, you’re likely going the wrong way.” –Terry Goodkind
6. “We could never learn to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world” –Helen Keller
7. “If you will call your troubles experiences, and remember that every experience develops some latent force within you, you will grow vigorous and happy, however adverse your circumstances may seem to be.” –J. R. Miller
8. “Little minds are tamed and subdued by misfortune, but great minds rise above them.” –Washington Irving
We hope you found these quotes as inspiring as we did. While we might not be facing adversity at this very moment, it’s something we all have to deal with at some point. But if you keep these wise words in mind, you might come out of a bad situation even stronger.
For more articles like this (and inspirational quotes), be sure to check us out on Twitter @ShipEdge.