How to Create a New SKU in Shipedge
This guideline shows you how to enter a new product or products in your inventory.
Add a new SKU in your Inventory
Go to the Inventory menu on your home screen and press the “Add SKU” link.
Filling out SKU information
1) SKU — This required field should contain a unique alphanumeric value that will identify your product for the system and for our warehouse team This code may contain up to 40 characters. However, SKUs under 10 characters are recommended. The shorter the SKU, the better for the warehouse. This value should not have spaces nor the following characters ‘ ” $ @ # ! & * . If you don’t manufacture your products and acquire your products from different suppliers, we recommend using the same SKU as your suppliers. This will avoid confusion in our receiving department when replenishing your products
2) UPC — Alphanumeric value 50 characters long (usually 15 numbers). This number is typically a barcode number associated with your product. This field is optional, so if you like, you can use an additional unique identifier even if it’s not the official UPC of the product. Examples include: ISBN in books and other barcodes (usually a numeric sequence).
3) Description –Alphanumeric values up to 255 characters long. The description of your item is a way for the warehouse receiving department to verify that your product matches its SKU.
4) Length –The length of your product’s retail package. (inches in numbers only).
5) Heigh –The height of your product’s retail package. (inches in numbers only)
6) Width –The width of your product’s retail package. (inches in numbers only)
7) Declared –Numbers only (up to 6 numbers with 3 decimal points). The declared value is the dollar amount you wish to declare for customs and insurance purposes when shipping your orders. This value will appear on the shipping forms when you ship an order outside of the United States.
8) Distribution Center — Alphanumeric value 1-5 characters long. This field needs to be empty by default. Any data entered into this field will create a Distribution Center for the product. The only times when a Distribution Center needs to be created is when a supplier does not have a Distribution Center, or if you need to create a Distribution Center for a supplier.
9) Supplier — Alphanumeric values up to 255 characters long (less than 15 is recommended). Type the name of your supplier here.
10) Cost — Numbers only (up to 6 numbers with 3 decimal places). Enter the cost for you to order the product from your supplier here. If you fill in this box, you will be able to generate Purchase Orders from your Shipedge account. This amount may be also used for insurance purposes by the warehouse. This value is only visible for you, and Shipedge keeps its confidential.
Once these fields have been filled in, please press the “Add” button and your SKU will be created on your account.
NOTE: To avoid billing and history problems, you will not be able to erase or edit a SKU in Shipedge. If you do not have inventory for a SKU and/or you want to rename it, you can discontinue the SKU and create a new one. Please do not create the new SKU with the same name in the system until this one has been discontinued. We show how to discontinue an SKU in another lesson.
Creating your SKUs (example)
If your products do not have a SKU yet, or you wish to personalize this value, you can create this value yourself. We recommend taking the following considerations when creating SKUs:
- Identify the most important characteristics of the product.
- Identify your product’s possible variations.
For example: If you wish to create a SKU for a “French Connection bubble cocktail dress silk in Blue size 4,” your SKU might be: FC-121-1230-BL-04
Breaking it down piece by piece, we chose these values because:
FC = Collection Name (French Connection)
121= Collection (2012 Spring Collection, usually not mentioned in the description)
1230 = Model number ( bubble cocktail dress silk)
BL = Color (Blue)
04 = Size (4)
Some companies choose to use numbers for everything, so FC could be provider# 45, Color would be 5 for blue, etc…